At St Andrew’s Church of England Primary School, all children are introduced to formal cursive handwriting from the start of Year 1 and we do believe that the EYFS is important to establish the prerequisites for good handwriting. This ensures good standards in the Early Years which will impact throughout the whole school, developing confidence, accuracy and fluency and improved presentation.
The rules of the Cursive
- to minimise confusion for the child as every letter starts on the line with an entry stroke and leads out with an exit stroke
- with the flow of Cursive Writing as letters naturally flow into each other, it is impossible to write separate letters without joining
- form spacing between words as the child develops whole word awareness
- develop a child's visual memory
- all children's writing skills regardless of academic ability
- to develop skills of punctuation and grammar